Sunday, November 25, 2012

Obsidian Kingdom - Mantiis


Obsidian Kingdom on Facebook
Bandcamp / Download

Obsidian Kingdom play Progressive, Post-Metal that has been throwing me for a loop lately. The music here is very slick and very well executed. I never listen to stuff like this, so I have been finding it quite difficult to describe or compare this at all. These guys are from Barcelona... 'Mantiis' is a conceptual Rock Opera type of thing. The lyrics are odd and vague, almost creepy at times. Some parts remind me of System Of A Down, others remind me of Tool... Still others sound almost like atmospheric Black Metal or something... I nearly started feeling bad about the vagueness of this review since it came as a band or label request, until I remembered that this is my blog and I can say whatever I want about these records. While these songs as a whole are competent and interesting enough, I just feel like there are too many avenues being explored at once to make this completely cohesive.



No comments:

Post a Comment