Friday, November 15, 2013

Carving Colours - No Way But Forwards


Bandcamp
Facebook

     I have to admit, when it comes to Progressive Metal, I don't know a damned thing. I mean, I am a fan of Tool and the Deftones to an extent, but, this is a genre I have spent little to no time exploring. I hope I can do this album justice with my review...
     Carving Colours are from Spain. They are really good at what they do. When I envision a Progressive Metal band, this is exactly what I think of. The guitars are heavy and crunchy, yet intricate. The vocalist definitely sings more than he growls or screams. In fact, there is almost zero aggression in the vocal delivery save for the rare moments where there is. I am more often than not reminded of mid-to-later period James Hetfield when Metallica began losing their faith in Metal. That's not to say these guys sound like Metallica... I guess they probably sound more like Kings X or Blind Guardian when the songs begin exhibiting more of a Power Metal thing that just leaves me cold. I think my favorite part is when everything falls out and the piano interlude takes over. There are some strange keyboard flourishes here and there that add an almost video-gamey feel... I don't know... These songs are well developed and competent. I just don't know enough about the style to tell you whether or not they are better than most.
     I guess, if you are a fan of bands like Dream Theater, Queensryche, Nevermore, Anathema and later/shittier Mastodon, you will probably like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment