Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Eris Flies Tonight - Solitary EP


Bandcamp Link
Facebook Link

     Eris Flies Tonight come from Berlin, Germany. These songs sound to me like a Berlin winter. Bleak, long and dreadfully oppressive. The two songs here plod and lumber along at a pace that to me, is akin to trudging through a couple feet of snow just to get to work to have your boss get on your back for being 2 minutes late. Post-Rock and overwrought Screamo can work so well together sometimes, and sometimes bands really get bogged down in trying to outweigh one sound with the other. That certainly isn't the case here. There are moments of pure bliss, like when the violin takes over and travels along with those raw, damaged and morose vocals. There is much atmosphere here that brings to mind some of the more devastating Post-Rock/Post-Metal bands like Thee Silver Mount Zion and Cult Of Luna. I guess I should mention bands like I Would Set Myself On Fire For You and Ache: Emilie as well. If only for that beautiful violin that weaves in and out of the chaos seamlessly. Basically, Eris Flies Tonight do not sound too much like any one band while sounding wholly like themselves in every way. I don't really know if that makes sense to anyone. Right now, I couldn't care less. I have been mesmerized by this two song EP for about an hour now and I don't ever want to come back down.

No comments:

Post a Comment