Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Vulture Smile - Catholic Guilt Demo


Bandcamp Link
Facebook Link

San Jose, California isn't generally known as a hotbed of musical ingenuity. Actually, off the top of my head, I can't even really think of a single band from San Jose that has ever done anything of note. Let me just say, Vulture Smile are here to change that. When the request came in to review this, I was a little put off by the idea of a band combining Indie-Pop and screamy Emo. Boy oh boy, I am so stoked that these songs exist!! I never would have thought songs could work written within this framework... Imagine throwing the Shins, Desert City Soundtrack and Kolya together and watching them make a baby. There are ultra-somber moments of blissed-out melody here intertwined with sharp snaps of raging anger. Though, the screamier parts are few and far between, they do exist in potent enough levels that the songs don't get bogged down in that meandering Indie nothingness that so many bands unfortunately suffer from. I am completely addicted to the second song 'Disappearances.' There is something about Ed's vocal drawl that I can't get enough of. I have been struggling to find a comparison. I am just going to give up. I haven't heard anything this refreshing in a long time. Do yourself a favor and give Vulture Smile a listen. These songs will get stuck in your head and you will thank them for that.


No comments:

Post a Comment