Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Sea Oleena - Sleeplessness

Bandcamp Link
Facebook Link

     I am going to preface this early morning review by describing my current condition. The last two weeks have been filled with loving family, dear friends and the most debilitating lower back pain I have ever suffered. My Chiropractor tells me the pads between my two lowest vertebrae are either torn, bulging or bruised. Therefore, the nerves surrounding my lower spine are hyper-sensitive and prone to fits of unruly Hellfire. I have had so much trouble walking, let alone standing for any extended amount of time. The pain gets so intense at times, it almost feels like the world around me isn't real. Knee bucklingly painful!! I can't work, I can't shower, I can hardly take a piss on my own. It is getting to the point where I feel as if I am actually losing my grip on reality. I feel blessed to have such a wonderful woman in my life. She has taken care of me like no woman ever has (except you Mom, I could never forget about you!). Thank goodness for opiates!!
     So, it's about 5:30 a.m. on a Tuesday. I was able to get three hours of sleep before the pain got too intense. After consuming a couple little white pills, the pain seems to have subsided for the time being... And this is where the review begins:

     This album sounds amazing when listened to through the filter of Oxycontin and insomnia. The woman who wrote these songs is named Charlotte. She has the most intoxicatingly beautiful voice I have heard in a long time, reminding me of Liza Kate a little bit. I guess this would be considered Folk music by some people. To me though, there is just too much going on in these songs to limit them to one concrete genre or sound. In fact, I am just going to have to coin a new genre term and call it "Baroque inflected Chamber Slowcore". Try to imagine Hope Sandoval from Mazzy Star with an actual smile on her face, singing for Codeine while the Postal Service play endless electronic loops in the bathroom next door. What does any of that mean? Well, it means this is Perfect Morning Music. Soft, lilting and cool to the touch. As of right now, during my third complete listen through this album, I feel no pain. Isn't that what music is supposed to do for us?

No comments:

Post a Comment