Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Things Fall Apart

Bandcamp Link
Things Fall Apart are from Columbus, Ohio.  Knowing that fact, it makes sense that these songs would have such an overwhelming feeling of anger and dread permeating through them.  I have been to Columbus and though I feel very strongly about cherishing where you come from, I can understand why they are so pissed off.  This is caustic Post-Hardcore with bite.  Group chants, tasteful breakdowns and the occasional, elusive dramatic pause make me think of 90's greats like Chino Horde, Kerosene 454 and Still Life.  A few, more modern comparisons might be Planes Mistaken For Stars, Twelve Hour Turn, Glass & Ashes or Pianos Become The Teeth.  Lyrically, these songs seem to be written from a very dark, personal place and I am sure the author feels that great purge every time they play live.  I love that image.  Seeing a band on stage exorcising their demons with every note, every guitar slash, every scream...  I especially love the song 'What Went Wrong?'.  The lyrics hit particularly close to home for me as I have struggled my entire life to make any sort of connection with my own father.  All in all, I am certain this will appeal to fans of old-school Emo as well as the newer sounds that labels like Topshelf and Paper + Plastik are dealing in.  Well done.

No comments:

Post a Comment