Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Best Of The Statler Brothers LP

Megaupload Link

I wanted to post something today that is very dear to my heart. The Statler Brothers were a Country Western, Doo-Wop group from Virginia.  Forming in 1955, they originally played traditional Gospel music before taking what they had loved about that style and incorporating it into Their own Country Songs. They have become most well known through original compositions such as 'Flowers On The Wall', which was featured prominently in the movie Pulp Fiction.  I grew up with these songs. My Mom loved this band her whole life, and I have to admit, I still find these songs very compelling.  I always thought of them more as a barbershop quartet than anything resembling true Country music. Each member brought a very different vocal tone to the songs. There were Baritone, Bass, Tenor and Countertenor vocals featured throughout each composition.  The songs on this 'Best Of' have lyrics ranging from their displeasure with the movie industry, lost loves, best friends, the love of Family and the love of a good prostitute... Yeah, you read that right. Some of the themes in these songs are actually rather dark and exposed. Which adds a wonderful air of honesty and conviction to the album as a whole. I can't really recommend any of their other records. They made more than 40. I am pretty sure they spent most of their career singing the praises of their god. Not that there is anything wrong with that... Just saying, I don't really go in for any kind of gospel. This record on the other hand is sweet, funny, smart and all around charming.  One of my great memories is listening to this with my Mother in the early mornings while she would get ready for work and I would get ready for school.  We would listen to these songs, singing along at the tops of our lungs. I will always remember that.  These songs tend to elicit some of the most amazing feelings.  I would be lying if I said I haven't cried over this record before.  Listen to the song 'New York City'.  It is one of the saddest pieces of music I have ever heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment